Controlled Arch Braces: 5 Month Update Alyssa Luck · Nov 8, 2020 · 3 Comments Things I talk about: progress (braces, head/neck posture, tongue exercises, jaw position) why I don’t want to do a “bump out” more thoughts on AGGA/CAB safety Related
Joseph Lian says
How’s treatment going these days? Re: tooth instability and bone loss, have you had scans confirm the presence/absence of these?
I had to suspend treatment in the summer and was having excellent outcomes until I the appliance was removed and retainers were provided for me. I was not able to tolerate the retainer use in the last few months and have regressed significantly. I’m only recently regretting this as my lower jaw is just now beginning to really protest the loss in forward position. Wondering, at this point, if it’s worth the cost, discomfort, and risk to resume/restart treatment.
Your results, aesthetically, are fantastic by the way. Your case certain appears to be an ideal non-surgical result!
Alyssa Luck says
Thanks for commenting! You reminded me to add my most recent YouTube video update to my blog 🙂 It’s up there now if you want an update, but basically everything is going very smoothly! Albeit taking a bit longer than I’d expected or hoped.
I haven’t had scans, reason being that I don’t think they’d provide useful information. The last scan I had (discussed here) basically showed that my buccal bone is thin, but (at least from what I understand) the scan is not granular enough to determine whether the teeth were actually at risk. My guess is that any additional scan I get would show something similar. I would not expect a scan to show thick, healthy buccal bone, given I’ve had 10mm additional forward growth (and the previous scan was only a couple years ago anyway). And seeing that would not change my current action plan, so why bother? At this point, the main thing that would cause me to change my plan would be if I noticed loosening of teeth.
Very sorry to hear you had to suspend treatment! I had to do so for about a month because my AGGA broke, so I had to be in retainers while I waited for a new one to be made. It was frustrating, but I’m back on track now! I’m sure that will be a difficult decision for you to make. Would love to hear more about what your experience has been like, if you care to share.
Thank you so much! What’s funny is I’ve gotten used to how I look now, to where I see myself and think “geez, I could really use another 10mm of forward growth!” Which may well be the case, but I don’t want to push my luck 🙂 I am hoping that now that I can more easily achieve proper tongue posture/function, my facial structure will continue to slowly improve over time just by virtue of using my muscles properly (for the first time ever).
Did you ever get a sleep study ??