Update March 2022: This page is quite out of date, as I’ve been focusing on other projects. For the latest in my own progress, see my YouTube channel. As for everything else, I hope to one day expand and update this page, but for now, proceed with the disclaimer that it is out of date and not anywhere close to comprehensive.
If you’re trying to learn more about functional/epigenetic orthodontics and orthotropics, including topics like palate expansion, maxilla advancement/facial growth, and proper tongue posture…you’re in the right place!
This page will be an ongoing effort to compile and organize information on these topics. Because a functional approach to orthodontics and dentistry is still relatively “fringe,” especially in adults, it can be difficult to wade through the various forum threads and Youtube videos and anecdotes and websites (sketchy or otherwise) that are out there, and impossible to know what information to trust. I hope that by putting all the information in one place, it’ll make it easier for you to navigate and learn so you can draw your own conclusions.
Important: I’m no authority on these topics, and have no dental/orthodontic/medical training, so nothing on this website should be taken as medical advice. Also, the inclusion of something on this page does not mean I like it, have experience with it, or otherwise endorse it – I’m just putting it all out there for you guys to explore.
So, to that end…if you know of any good resources that I’m missing, leave a comment and I’ll be sure to add it! This is definitely still a work in progress, and I expect to add many more links and tidbits over the coming months.
These are pages I’ve put together as guides for specific functional orthodontic/orthotropic topics. I’d like to reiterate that I am NOT trained as a dentist or orthodontist, and am not an authority on these topics.
My goal is simply to make it easier to navigate other people’s thoughts/opinions, present information in a thorough and unbiased way, and promote a productive dialogue by offering theories or raising questions. All these pages will be continually updated as necessary!
- Everything You Need to Know about AGGA (Anterior Growth Guidance Appliance)
- Everything You Need to Know About Mewing (but not really; lots of other people on the internet have done a FAR more thorough job than I have! I hope to flesh this page out with more links/resources eventually.)
The following posts document my own experience with palate expansion and facepulling as an adult (24 years old when I began in early 2018). Prepare for an emotional rollercoaster.
- Adult Palate Expansion Diary: Introduction
- Adult Palate Expansion Diary #1
- Adult Palate Expansion Diary #2
- APE Diary #3: Gaps Achieved!
- APE Diary #4: Discovering Dr. Brad Lockhart
- APE Diary #5: My Consult with Dr. Brad Lockhart
- The DNA Appliance Has Arrived! (APE Diary #6)
- 5-Month Palate Expansion Progress Photos
- Palate Expansion Update: Concerning CBCT Scan Results
- A Non-Update Update
- Why I Decided to Try AGGA (plus some lingering concerns)
- 9-month AGGA update
- Video: AGGA update, pandemic edition
- Review: The Crane Reverse-Pull Headgear
- Video: Why I chose AGGA over mewing alone
- Video: Controlled-arch braces day 2 report – lisp city
- Video: Is AGGA dangerous? My thoughts on tooth instability and bone loss
- AGGA Before & After – 10mm Expansion
- Controlled Arch Braces: 5 Month Update
- Controlled arch braces progress + timeline update
- AGGA/Controlled Arch Braces Progress Update (9 months in braces, 22 months total)
- AGGA/Controlled Arch Braces Progress Update (12 months in braces, 25 months total)
- AGGA/Controlled Arch Braces Progress Update (13 months in braces, 26 months total)
- CBCT Results: An Update on Implants [AGGA/CAB Update]
- Quitting Controlled-Arch Braces [AGGA 2.5-year update]
These are all personal blogs (like this one!) of others who have documented their journeys and experiments (in no particular order).
Probably one of the most well-known characters in the palate expansion realm, first for his all-in praise of the Anterior Growth Guidance Appliance (AGGA) (which he undertook to improve his neck posture and help with chronic migraines), then for his dramatic about-face on the topic, as he’s now probably the most outspoken AGGA detractor. His most recent experiments have been with MSE. He documented all his experiences very thoroughly, including his failed attempt (very similar to mine!) at expansion with a more traditional three-way acrylic expander, so this is a great resource.
The OG. Or at least, the first resource I came across when I started learning about all this stuff several years ago. Last I checked, you had to be a paid member to access much of his content, but he still had some stuff up for free.
This looks like a relatively new blog by someone who has improved their health through posture/orthodontic treatments. I’ll be interested to see what they post in the coming months!
Ry’s Dental Journey
Experience with the Vivos DNA Appliance, reverse-pull headgear, etc.
Facial Growth Orthodontics with Daniel
Not really a personal blog, but a lengthy patient testimonial/blog on the website of a practitioner in Missouri. Great documentation of his experience with AGGA though!
Scott Gets Mouthy
Using the Vivos DNA Appliance, primarily to treat sleep apnea.
Results with the DNA Appliance – last post was in 2015, but really impressive B&A photos!
My Experience with the DNA Appliance (not mine; that’s just the title of the blog!)
Rick’s experience with the DNA; last post was in 2013
Health Matters to Me
Experience with the Homeoblock.
Michael’s (38 yo) experience using upper and lower “bicuspid opener” expanders to reverse extraction/retraction orthodontics.
Kevin’s experience using Homeoblock and NCR to solve health problems from extraction/retraction orthodontics (plus a bunch of other unrelated stuff, so I linked to the “Orthodontics” category instead of the blog home page).
Some of these look extra sketchy, and everyone knows you can’t trust people on internet forums, but nonetheless, I’ve learned some very helpful things from these sites. (Again, in no particular order.)
The Great Work
From what I can gather, this is sort of part personal blog, part forum, part informational website.
A subreddit dedicated to discussing mewing and other topics in orthotropics.
I think this is Mike Mew’s website, or at least one he’s affiliated with.
Anonymous facepuller’s website.
- The Craniofacial Action Group (Mike Mew’s group)
- TMJ/TMD/CMD/OSA Physiologic Discussion Group (an LVI affiliated group)
- Myofunctional Orthodontics
This is a list of devices I’ve heard of being used for palate expansion in adults. Where possible, I’ve linked to other websites/resources where you can learn more about them, or at least read about others’ experience using them.
- AGGA (Anterior Growth Guidance Appliance)
- Vivos DNA Appliance
- Meridian Appliance (knockoff DNA appliance; this is what I used)
- MARPE (micro-implant assisted rapid palatal expander)
- ALF (here’s a pretty big thread about ALF on a random forum)
- Damon braces
- basic removable lateral acrylic expander (like what I started with)
- figure-8 cemented expander
- “bicuspid opener” (per this blog)
Face Pulling (non-surgical maxillary advancement)
This is a list of devices/techniques I’ve heard of being used for non-surgical maxillary advancement/”face pulling” in adults.
- facemask (standard reverse-pull headgear; my experience here)
- the Crane
- DIY hockey helmet approach
- AGGA (this fits in both categories, because it supposedly expands the maxilla forward by putting pressure on a specific spot in the upper palate)
- mouthguard & shoelace method (not kidding – see Walrus’ posts on this forum page)
- Mew Vector (Mike Mew’s custom headgear; youtube video here)
- Facemax (superseded by CROME/CROM-face)
Other Related Therapies
Pretty much just that. Other related therapies that don’t fit the above categories, but that I’ve seen people use or recommend to achieve some of the same goals.